Monday, December 13, 2010

Native American YA

I started writing KOICTO right after I finished reading the Twilight Saga.  In my opinion, the vampire thing had been exploited enough, but I didn't see any spin off from the Native American idol, Jacob Black, whom all the girls in my town were swooning over. 

In addition, I was amazed by the 1000 year-old petroglyphs in my (new) backyard, and thus dawned the inspiration for my story.  I studied the descendant tribes of the Fremont Indians, and visited archaeological sites to develop what I call the Nahchee Nation.  Koicto is action packed with adventure, love and war.  It a coming-of-age story about a sixteen-year-old warrior who, discovers that he not only has been gifted with cougar-like abilities, but his destiny is to lead his people through the ravages of war and rebuild the Nation.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I saw your question on SFWU and made a comment. It just so happens that I recommended a book about a Native American boy in response to one of your questions there. Whoa. Now that's psychic!

    I also maintain a blog. I'm at http://englishemporium.wordpress.com if you want to check out my blog.

    You said on SFWU that you could use some blog advice. I've been blogging for more than a year now. If you have any questions or need some help, feel free to pop on over to my blog and post a comment under the "about the author" page, and I'll try to help.

    Good luck with your blogging experience, and I'll see you on SFWU. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the first books I ever picked up was about Native Americans but I'm not sure if it was a YA or an adult. It had many deep themes and took me years of re-reading it to understand the book completely. It's called The Second Bend in the Rive by Ann Rinaldi. I accidently got it at a bookfair in elementary school and decided to take a chance and see if I liked it or not. It became one of my favorite books of al time! Your book sounds like it'll be a masterpeice. The reason I mentioned Second Bend in the River is because it sort of relates to your book. Good luck with writing it & awesome blog!

    ~Ezmirelda

    ReplyDelete