Thursday, March 10, 2011

Using a Professional Editor

I have decided to send KOICTO to a professional editor. I've read numerous articles both for and against a professional review, but here is my reasoning:

  1. I have had a lot of rejection and I understand the novel is not mainstream, therefore it is imperative that it is perfect.
  2. I met an (MFA) editor at the SFWC, and read one of her books. It is important to know who will be editing your material, and understand their level of skill.
  3. I do not have any published (well, a couple of self published, but that doesn't count) authors in my critique group, and the people I can coerce into reading my novel are friends and family, who are not the best at providing constructive feedback.
I have also decided not to send out KOICTO again until the edit and revisions are complete. I will keep you updated on how this process works for me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you posted this and that Wendy is working out for you. I learned in my session with the editor that although my world if phenomenal and my characters exciting, I lack a basic fundamental: cohesive plot.

    Having an editor really can give the perspective that is necessary to make the work soar. I'm so glad we're on this journey together and can share. I'll get my report next week and will begin my marathon rewrites. I can't wait! Brainstorming with another person who "gets" what we're trying to accomplish is such a bonus! I agree that any budding author strongly consider an editor as part of their team for success! Thanks Amy!

    ReplyDelete