Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I just finished reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I don't read a lot of YA, unless my daughter suggests a book, but I went to the Heart of the West Romance Writers Conference where author, Dan Brown, gave a keynote talk about the book and how, through the course of the novel, it built the world and defined the characters. I downloaded it to my Kindle and couldn't put it down.

Normally, a post apocalyptic world does not attract my interest, but this world, though completely horrendous, kept me turning the pages from one awful, unthinkable scene to another.

Normally, I don't care to read a story in first person present. It's not the first person that bothers me, but I have difficulty with present tense. Collins pulled off the present tense so well that after the first few pages, I fell right into step with her style.

So - five of five stars to Suzanne Collins and The Hunger Games! It's gripping and well written, and a best-seller. You can order it at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0439023521/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

2 comments:

  1. Glad to read this review- I've bought the book, but I haven't read it yet. Most of the reasons for this involve just that I am not attracted that much to the premise, but I also wanted to see what everyone's raving about. Perhaps I'll give it a try! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard nothing but good reports about this book. I'll have to check it out. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete