Thursday, October 13, 2011

Juggling Work and Writing


Do you have a "day job" that pays the bills? I do - in fact I have a day career. My husband and I are putting four kids through college. I'm thrilled that KOICTO is coming out soon, but I'm not holding my breath for the first royalty check. Bottom line - I have to work to make ends meet, just like so many other authors out there.

So, if you have to work and ABSOLUTELY MUST WRITE (like me), how do you juggle  your time? I live by a strict schedule. I'm at my "day job" at 7 a.m. and I leave by 5 p.m. whenever possible. I go home, take care of the dogs, eat something simple - like a peanut-butter sandwich, and I'm writing by 6:30 p.m. and I hit it hard until about 9. I get up early on weekends and write before anyone wakes up. With this plan I get about 5k words in per week, and sometimes a blog post or two.

What is your writing routine like? How do you juggle family, work and play?

I never write on Friday nights, because that is time with my husband. Also, we plan things together on the weekends, so my writing is limited to early mornings. It's tough, but I believe with discipline, it works.

Happy writing, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment