Thursday, October 27, 2011

Work


This is actually where I go to work everyday. We make injection molded plastics products, and I'm responsible for the safety, quality, productivity and profitability of the facility. I suppose you could call me the big cheese, the place where the buck stops. But I mostly think of myself as the enforcer, the voice of reason, the referee.

Now I want to draw your attention to that Southern Utah sky. How many places in this world can boast clear blue skies like that? Also, not in this picture are the beautiful red-rock mountains that surround the city. The setting makes this one of the best places to live on the planet.

Setting is so important to writing, it should actually be incorporated into your writing as a character. I participated in an excercise this summer where we took a setting and described it as if it were alive. It worked so well, I put the excerpt in my book. And since? I've been using that technique to bring out the beauty and uniqueness of scenes as I write...Definitely an excellent tool for the writers closet.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. The sky is gorgeous. :) I love settings that can come alive too. That's a great writing exercise.

    ReplyDelete