Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Book Signing Success


Posted by Picasa Saturday I had the pleasure of signing copies of Koicto at the Barns & Noble in St. George, Utah. I had a lot of fun and there was a steady stream of interested readers. The store manager told me that the event was more successful that most...and I figured that wasn't by accident.

I worked with a PR student to send out news releases a few weeks prior, and the local paper ran an article the morning of the event. In addition, I had my husband and daughter there to help hand out bookmarks and talk about the book. I stood most of the time, handed out bookmarks, and answered questions about the book. A number of people wanted more information, and asked if it was available on the Nook and Kindle (of course it is).

My advice to any author going to a book signing is to ensure you are engaging. Don't sit there and read, waiting for people to come to you. A friendly attitude and a smile will draw people in. Some won't buy the book, and some will. If you give them a token like a bookmark, the ones who don't buy it on the day may come back...or download it to their e-reader.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a lot of fun at the event. I agree about making sure you're engaging. I've found that people can be reluctant to approach but are wonderfully friendly if the author chats to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Amy! Super-congrats to you on your successful signing! You make a great point about doing your homework beforehand and being open and friendly to customers. You're right, some won't buy it, but others will. And they have reader-friends, too~

    best,

    ReplyDelete