Sunday, January 15, 2012

Pre-Writing

My friend and mentor, David Farland, sends out a daily kick, and last week he wrote about pre-writing. This weekend, I started preparing for my next novel, which will be another historical, except this time it will take place at Hadrian's Wall. Anyway, as I researched, I started thinking about how important pre-writing is. Some of the things that I need to do before I start to write are:

  1. Learn about the era. Who was the emperor? Why has my protagonist been sent to the outermost point of the realm?
  2. What actual events can I weave into the story that will give it more substance?
  3. How did they dress?
  4. Transportation - especially for women. Did they have carriages?
  5. How advanced were the local people?
  6. What were the local's disputes?
  7. What were the names of the weapons of the era?
All of this needs to be learned before I can start developing the characters. Full backgrounds need to be worked out for each of the main characters before I can start writing the first word. If I don't know the details of my character's lives before the book starts, then there is absolutely no way I can write a meaningful and gripping story about them.

In my opinion, pre-writing and research is as important as writing the story, and possibly more important than editing.

2 comments:

  1. /O) Hi

    Thanks for dropping by my place.

    Nice to 'meet' you, too.

    Have a wonderful day.

    -Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. Hadrian's Wall has such a fascinating (and bloody) history. It will be a departure from your usual stuff, I presume? I'm sure you'll have as much fun researching and writing it as I will reading it!

    Mikko

    ReplyDelete