A few weeks ago, my writer's group discussed all the things they do instead of write. Some of the things they came up with were pretty funny. Do you find yourself doing any of these?
- Sit and think about what I should be doing.
- Figure I'm too boring.
- Look in the toy section at Wal-Mart
- Run downstairs and then forget why you went down there.
- Start multiple tasks without completing one.
- Read something useless
- Chat on the phone.
- Take a long shower.
- Go shopping.
- Catch up on social media and end up spending an eternity there.
I'm guilty of #1 and #12. I worry that I might not be paying enough attention to my family, house, dogs, etc., and I get onto social media and end up laughing at everyone's antics.
One thing that helps me to focus is each morning I sit down and make a list and timeline of my day. If I say I'm going to write for four hours, that will include time for outlining so that I don't fly into oblivion writing by the seat of my pants. What makes you procrastinate?
Write on friends!