Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Stephany Evans, Literary Agent, A Class Act

Stephany Evans, President
Fine Print Literary Agency
 Most of the people who read my blog are writers, so I assume most of you have experienced the pain involved in sending out queries and receiving rejections or worse, nothing. I have been fastidious in my conviction to publish traditionally, and thus have put myself through the torment of querying more times than I care to mention.

In this blog, I would like to make note of one agent who seems to understand the author's side of querying. Stephany Evans is the President of Fine Print Literary Agency, and I have queried her three times (for three separate projects). Each time she has sent me a rejection, but has responded with a personally written note, which has left me feeling good about what I am trying to accomplish.

The last response I received was for a historical romance:


Dear Ms. Jarecki,
 Thank you for thinking of me with your query. Unfortunately, I'm afraid this is not a period that really speaks to me so I wouldn't be the right agent for this one. I've shared your note with a colleague, however; if she's interested, you'll hear from her directly. Best of luck and success to you.
 Sincerely,
Stephany Evans

When I read this, I thought...hmm...Here's the president of an agency who responded the same day that I sent my query with a nice personal note. I imagine she gets the same number of queries as every other agent out there, but Ms. Evans must be exceptional at time management. Her professionalism is an example to us all. Her bio on the Fine Print website is: http://fineprintlit.com/about-the-agents/stephany-evans-president/

As long as I am on my soapbox, I do want to address my author friends. I believe there is a certain etiquette that authors should adhere to when querying agents. If you are fortunate enough to get a rejection do not click reply and send a nasty-gram. Even if you get a canned response, at least the agent or agency has sent you a response. 

Good luck to everyone who is now in the querying process and don't let it get you down. Try to balance your time with what you love -- writing!

6 comments:

  1. I also believe it is best to thank them for even looking at what you sent, perhaps with an added note of, "I'll consider your advice (if any was offered) and take it to heart when submitting my next work."

    Ya never know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, Jeremy. I will send a thank you if they sent a personal note, but don't with a canned response because I worry that they get too many e-mails as it is. Maybe I'm wrong???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's really fantastic that she at least thought it was good enough to forward it on to another agent. That means something. And the fact that she sent you a personal note. It means that she did read it and took the time to shoot you off an email. I think that speaks volumes about how seriously she takes her job and the quality of your work. Even though it's a rejection, it's still encouraging. Keep plugging away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Heather! I was thrilled that she felt strongly enough about it to pass it along. In the meantime, I'm working on book 2! Will e-mail you soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just sent Ms. Evans a second query (two separate projects) and both times heard back the next day, both very heartfelt responses. This second one was particularly encouraging which is why I googled her and came across this post. I know it's a year and a half old but I just wanted to add my voice to your chorus. It's just so nice to see an agent so passionate and who cares so much about her work and the writers who are querying her. Best of luck in your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your experience, Michael and good luck to you!

      Delete