Thursday, September 20, 2012

All Writers Need This Book

Rivet Your Readers with Deep Point of ViewI just received my copy of Rivet Your Readers With Deep Point Of View by Jill Elizabeth Nelson. The price of the paperback on Amazon was $5.99 for a 61 page, 8 chapter book that reads much like an online writing class. Nelson does a fantastic job of clearly defining the elements of Deep POV, giving many examples of "shallow" and "deep" writing. At the end of every chapter are worksheets to give you a chance to try your hand.



In reading this I did notice that her examples are for contemporary works. I write both historical and contemporary, and I initially thought it might be difficult to emulate Deep POV in historicals, but I think it can be done. Historical authors can work to remove things like, he thought, she felt, and it seemed.

I particularly liked Chapter Five: Ditch the Prepositional Tells where Nelson states that Deep POV is ruined when we narrate phrases with prepositions such as of, with, in, etc. I looked at a piece of my writing and came up with the following example:

Shallow:
Anne glanced at her still bare ring finger and shuddered with dread.

Deep:
Anne glanced at her still bare ring finger and shuddered. He's how old?

Here I took out the "with dread" and added her thought. "Dread" is not necessary, and pulls the reader out of Anne's head. Nelson also argues that italics are not necessary for thoughts in Deep POV. I think that's a personal choice thing...I like to add them.

Anyway, if you want to take your writing to the next level, I suggest you buy this book. It's available on kindle as well. Nelson is teaching an online course Mastering Goals, Motivation and Conflict that starts September 24th: http://www.savvyauthors.com/vb/showevent.php?eventid=1454&tx=97968060AE201292F&st=Completed&amt=25.00&cc=USD&cm=&item_number=EVENTID-1454

Write on Friends!

3 comments:

  1. This book sounds very interesting, and I like your example sentence. I'm going to have to buy this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, thank you for dropping by my blog. How exciting for you that you are a published author.
    I read the description of your novel "Koicto" and am wondering what was your inspiration for the book? It sounds like a novel I'd be interested in reading and will put it on my "to read" list. Is it anything like the Clan of the Cavebear series?

    ReplyDelete