Friday, September 28, 2012

Interview With Author Ryan Hunter-CHECK OUT HIS NEW DYSTOPIAN NOVEL, inDIVISIBLE!



My good friend Ryan Hunter has just released novel, inDIVISIBLE, and has agreed to a spotlight interview. Yea!

Hi Ryan!

Could you tell us a bit about what inDIVISIBLE is about?

inDIVISIBLE follows Brynn Aberdie, a seventeen-year-old girl, as she realizes she’s lost everything worth living for. As she states early in the novel, “Of course I’d become withdrawn. Not only had I lost my father but I just realized I’d also lost my freedom. When had that happened?”

Instead of cowering, however, she decides to take her life back by evading the very government that’s filled her with lies, and allying with a group of Freemen who she’s never actually met.

Could you talk a little about your main characters and their conflicts?

I like Brynn. She’s a little headstrong and confused, really she just wants a regular life where she can dream her own dreams. Instead, she’s had to hide her true self. She lives in mediocrity when she’s highly intelligent, for fear of what the government might do; but she doesn’t realize how bad things are, until her father’s murdered, then everything comes crashing down.

She runs off with a friend of hers when he informs her that both their names are on kill lists, and while they’re running for their lives, she dreams of what it would be like of she and T were free to be regular teens, dating, falling in love, free to speak their own minds. And sometimes, when they’re alone, she’s able to pretend that nothing else matters …

She’s a dreamer, an artist, somebody passionate about life – and yet she knows that she will never be able to live for herself until the world around her changes – and she’s responsible to help make that change. So, she gives up everything once more to take on responsibilities she never imagined possible.

How did you come up with the story?

I don’t normally write dystopian, had never even considered it actually, until I had this dream that left the most unusual feeling deep in my heart. The story unfolded in my mind in the following days with so many details I knew I had to write it.
It was almost like the story was given to me and I was the conduit to see it to print. I don’t know how else to explain it. So, when I say I love the story, it’s because of that. I feel like I can look at it a little bit objectively because I don’t remember consciously creating it. It just came about.

Where can we find your book?

My book is available on Amazon in print and as an ebook. It’s also available in print on Barnes and Noble. There are a few independent book stores picking it up, but it’s still pretty new so I don’t have a very complete list yet.

Would you tell us about your AMAZING road to publication?

I published two novels via traditional publishing under my given name and then moved on to self-publishing with a fun experiment about a young girl who confesses to murder only to break out of jail to claim she didn’t do it. That novel is currently not for sale. I took a couple of years away from writing to pursue some other interests but I couldn’t stand missing so much of my soul – as writing seems to be a part of who I am. It took some time, but inDIVISIBLE flooded my mind and I knew it was next.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time doing marketing, promotions, proofing, etc. for other authors on their ebooks so I decided I could do it successfully with my own. Of course, I had to finish the novel first, so my husband took over the kids and the house and sent me away to write until I finished. I wrote every day all day until I pounded out the final words, then I ran ten miles to clear my head, fell asleep exhausted, satisfied, and even a little nervous … then I drove home the following morning to see my family again and begin proofing.

To say my brain was mush would not come close to how foggy I felt, but my heart felt light and yet full and just great all around. From there I had the book read, edited, critiqued and edited again. Satisfied, I played with the cover (I do some graphics design when I can) and threw it up online. I’ve gotten great reviews so far and I can’t wait to see what will happen next.

Who are some of your favorite authors?

I think we all need a little comedic relief, so when I found Dan Wells’ I am Not a Serial Killer series, it immediately became one of my all-time favorites. I believe it’s the only series I’ve ever read straight through, laughing out loud and then cringing the next page.

But I have to claim my favorite author as David Farland. Dave’s been a mentor to me. He’s encouraged me, helped me, critiqued my work and given so much advice that I could never repay him for all his kindness and help. He’s got to be the most selfless people I’ve ever met.

Could you tell us something about your current projects? Will we see another book from you soon?

I’m starting book two in the One United Series, which I expect to be a trilogy when all is said and done. So much happens in the end of inDIVISIBLE though, that I hesitate to even tell you much about it before you read book one.

I’ll just say that I’m super excited to introduce some new characters who are nearly haunting me in my sleep now, just waiting for their chance to be included. There’s so much more to come in this series that I can’t wait to get moving on it.

Have you got any advice for aspiring authors?

Keep writing. That’s what Dave told me when I wrote my first novel. He said once you write your first, get started on the second right away.

Too many writers give up before starting on their next, perhaps dismayed that sales weren’t what they expected or that they didn’t get the reviews they hoped for. What you need to remember is that there is a refining process and sometimes those first few books are best not read very much. It gives you time to become better and learn more about the publishing industry so you can build up to something of greater value. Then, if you’re like me, you’ll just hide away some of  those earlier attempts and hope nobody remembers them.

Now for the fun stuff.  What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

I’m a borderline adrenaline junkie. It’s a lifestyle that’s hard to balance with sitting behind a computer for hours on end. So, when I get the chance, I play hard.

I love speed, so I drive too fast, but we’ll not tell the cops … the ones who don’t already know, that is. I enjoy hiking, but not just up a trail to see pretty things. I prefer those hikes where you’ve got to rapell down into narrow canyons or climb up steep walls to get to the next level – up and over waterfalls, through canyons filled with water where you’ve got to swim it …

I love the ocean, water, kayaking, seeing how fast my UTV will go and how tight I can make it turn. And I honestly love to run. Running gets my frustrations out, calms me and literally makes me a nicer person to live with. My husband will vouch for this – probably my kids too.

Oh yeah, and I bake. A lot.

Wow. It sounds like you’re never bored!

Is there anything else you would like to share?

I just want to thank you for having me as a guest on your blog, and I’d like to give a shout out. If you’re looking for a captivating read, check out David Farland’s book Nightingale. It’s a pretty awesome read from a pretty awesome writer. J

Where can readers find you on the Web?

Webpage: propertyofoneunited.com
Blog: authorryanhunter.blogspot.com
Facebook: facebook.com/authorryanhunter
Twitter: @ryanhunter45

Thank you so much for taking the time to interview on my blog, and GOOD LUCK with inDIVISIBLE!  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Amy, for the intro to Ryan. I appreciate hearing how other writers think and work (and drive!). Wishing you all the best, Ryan!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Karen, and thank you, Amy, for having me on your blog!

    ReplyDelete