Monday, January 14, 2013

Interview with Author, Valerie Haight

Today's post spotlights the lovely Ms. Valerie Haight, author of Happenstance, a thriller with an interesting, yet somewhat innocent love triangle. I asked her to answer a few questions about her WIP, "NEXT BIG THING" and fortunately, she was able to give us some insight into an exciting book to come!

Checkout Valerie's blog: Valerie's Blog
Follow her on Twitter: @Valeriebrbr


1. What is the working title of your next book?

Leigh is my MC for the book so the working title is her name for now. In keeping with the tight suspense of the novel, I'd like to choose a one-word title that captures the intensity of the story.

2. Where did the idea for your book come from?

I worked in the medical field, specifically cancer-related phlebotomy and transcription, for years and picked up a vast knowledge of the medical profession. I've always been fascinated by what could be on those transcription tapes by accident. A tiny sprig of an idea bloomed into a plot when I thought about those tapes falling into the wrong hands.

3. What genre does your book fall under?

Crime fiction or medical thriller.

4. What is your synopsis or blurb for this book?

Radiology Tech Leigh Bexler is coerced into clubbing with a partying co-worker, but soon realizes she's caught in a ploy that explodes when her friend is murdered in front of her. She barely escapes with the help of a timely stranger, whom she's not at all sure she can trust. She suspects she's been involved in a shady deal, but before she can debunk that notion, Leigh must discover how the stranger knows her, why she's being targeted, and who wants her dead.  

5. What actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Natalie Portman fits Leigh's calm and reserved demeanor. And she's proven herself in the suspense category. I've always loved Jim Caviezel's smooth mannerisms. I could see him saving his girl in my story!

6. Will your book be self-published, or represented by an agency?

I plan to query this one to a well-known agent and/or pitch it at conferences so it might take longer for representation. But I really do hope to get a larger publisher's attention as it will be my first full length novel after learning the ropes a bit.

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I've not yet finished the first draft. I will tell you however, I started it in first person/present tense and changed it to third/past when I got nervous that agents wouldn't care for first/present. Now that I'm looking at it again after putting it aside for a year to work on Happenstance, I still want to revert back to first person. I need to take a look at my outline again to see which would give it a stronger lilt. Whichever it may be, I'm going to have faith in my ability and go with it.

8. Who or what inspired you to write this book?

The book is set in the swamps of Louisiana where I grew up so the culture there is rich and the inspiration abundant.
~ Ooo--a setting with lots of opportunity for twisted crimes!!!~

9. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

This book won't be as involved as Lee Child or James Patterson, but I plan to keep the suspense tight like Suzanne Collins minus the apocalypse.

10. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

The rich Louisiana culture will definitely add to the interest level but the near misses of the chase is what will keep the reader turning pages. 

Wow, I can't wait to tread it, Valerie! In the meantime, check out her book, Happenstance, offered by awesome boutique publisher, Turquoise Morning Press! Click on the book and go directly to Amazon.com!


1 comment: