Saturday, January 5, 2013

Scotland Hostel Advice Anyone?

Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness
I am very excited to say that I've booked my airfare and am going to Scotland in the spring! I'll be traveling on a shoestring, even thought of camping, but ditched that idea when I found out how cold it will be (and rainy).

Anyway, I'm planning to stay in hostels. Everything I've read indicates that this is the way to go if you're on a budget.

I found that Americans can book through Hostelling International http://www.hihostels.com/ and plan to make my reservations through that site. You can also get a 10% discount by becoming a member.

Just wondering if any bloggers out there have had experiences with hostels. Any advice that you can offer? My daughter will accompany me. She'll be working on an antiquities research project for university, and I'll be researching material for my romance novels.

I want it to be the trip of a lifetime!


2 comments:

  1. My sister, a friend and I backpacked Scotland YEARS ago (I mean...12 years ago).

    I Highly recommend making the Isle of Skye a priority stop. There's a hostel at the top of a hill in a little village there (and of course I can't remember the name) but from there you can hike down the hill and catch a ferry to see the Callanish standing stones on the Isle of Lewis. Highly worth a trip at sunset (or sunrise, depending on the ferry) http://www.isle-of-lewis.com/history/standing-stones.htm

    You can also hike around the "Fairy Hills" on the Isle of Skye. And when I say 'hike' it's a fairly even walk. Waterfalls, emerald hills, Oh my Word talk about inspiration!

    -Jess O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice, Jess. We've got Skye on the list, and my last MS takes place on the Isle of Raasay, so I wanted a whole day there. We're planning to see Craigh na Dun standing stones near Inverness...would love to make it to Lewis as well!

    ReplyDelete