Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Free Query Critique Contest

I believe writers need to celebrate everything good. And though I'm still in the querying process for my current WIP, so far I have received eleven requests for materials. I sent out about fifty queries, which makes it a 20% favorable response rate, and in this world of rejections, that's freaking awesome (pardon my feather fluffing). I remember attending a class on writing queries at a League of Utah Writers conference, where the presenter described her query process. She sent out 180 queries, received 18 responses and got one offer. She writes fantastic query letters, and has helped many writers with theirs.

Though I am still waiting, I want to give back to the writing community. So many people have helped me on this road. It's time for me to help others.

Do you have a query you want to polish? Do you need an extra set of eyes? Follow the steps of the contest and enter the drawing for a free query letter critique!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Here's a sample of my query for my historical romance, Captured by the Pirate Laird--the one that got me those requests:

Wed by proxy to a baron old enough to be her grandfather, Lady Anne trudges up the gangway of a galleon that will deliver her into the arms of a tyrant. Crestfallen, she believes her disastrous life cannot get worse—until she awakes to the blasts of cannon fire.

Facing certain death, Anne trembles in her stateroom while swords clash and the chilling screams of battle rage on the deck above. When a grizzly Highlander kicks in her door, she prays for a swift end.

But Laird Calum MacLeod has a reason for plundering the ship—and it’s not a stunning English lass. With no other choice, he takes Anne to his crumbling keep on the isle of Raasay and sends a letter of ransom to her husband. In time, Anne grows to understand MacLeod’s plight and finds it increasingly difficult to resist Calum’s unsettling charm—until the baron sends a reply agreeing to terms.

Ripped from passion that will be forever seared into their souls, Anne and Calum fight to find forgiveness and risk everything for love.

If you are interested in other editorial services that I offer, please visit my web site: http://www.amyjarecki.com/Bio.html

24 comments:

  1. If you click on the first option, it's follow this blog. If you already are following this blog click the Enter button!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea, Amy! I will mention it on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, whoever wins this is in for a treat!!! Thanks Amy for the critique on my query!

    Konstanz Silverbow
    nothoughts2small.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Konstanz. I hope you get a ton of requests!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the chance to have your help!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tweeted but could not figure out how to prove it but hope I am still entered.
    What a generous give away. Those are great query stats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! Remember to click the "Entered" button on the rafflecopter!

      Delete
  7. You feather fluff away, lady. That IS awesome!! I won't have a query to critique for a while. But when I do I will bug you for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great contest, Amy! So generous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds mighty fine to me! Delighted to have stumbled upon you, Amy.

    Will tweet this post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to type something into the box for the first option. Just as an FYI, that box can't be blank. I already follow, and so just typed "join this blog" into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alys. It looks like the option for me to create my own option didn't work so well. Good luck to you!

      Delete
  11. I have decided to switch tactics. The book I was querying is dying a painful death in the slush pile and contests, so I went with the "you don't always have to start at the beginning" advice. I wrote the sequel first (hadn't planned at the time to write anything else), so I'm writing a new query for the sequel. That seems to have a bit more meat =).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kel - That's cool. You know what they say, write every book as a stand alone. I am presently working on the sequel to Captured, the MS I'm celebrating with this contest, and am making sure it can stand on its own. Oh...and my first two manuscripts are in unmarked graves :-) Rejection is my middle name. I think we all go through it!

      Delete
  12. Are you doing another contest anytime soon ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not sure when the next one will be...maybe the next time I have some good news??? I have a special on $5 query critiques on the right panel if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete