Thursday, March 7, 2013

DO NOT TEXT AND DRIVE

Normally I blog about writing, but this is important. The other day I was driving to my critique group meeting and had to take an 8 mile detour because the police had closed the road. After I pulled a U-turn, two ambulances sped to the scene. On the way home, the police were cleaning up the accident, and I saw one of the cars and initially thought a passenger without a seat belt had been thrown out the window.

The next day, the paper reported that it had been a two-car accident. While looking at his/her cell phone, a motorist rear-ended another vehicle, sending it out of control. It careened onto the sidewalk and killed one pedestrian and injured another. The texting driver will most likely be charged with manslaughter.

Was the driver's cell phone so important to take a life and severely injure another? Was it so important that s/he is willing to spend a good portion of the remainder of his/her life in prison?

I can't stress enough, DO NOT USE A CELL PHONE WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING. Please share this with your kids, with everyone.

Back to writing.

13 comments:

  1. Amen. I wish people could see beyond that simple text. Nothing is that important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more. I've never texted while driving. Sadly, it appears I'm in the minority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Wendy, and thanks for tweeting!

      Delete
  3. My heart sank! So much lost. So much heartache and pain. I'm truly fed up with seeing people either texting or talking on the phone while driving. It's as though they have a loaded weapon in their hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good analogy--a cell phone is a loaded gun!

      Delete
  4. That's terrible about the accident!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so, so important. One of my friends always looks at her phone - it worries me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This just makes me so sad. So avoidable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely avoidable, and such a tragedy in every way.

      Delete
  7. Amy, thanks so much for the reminder. I share it always with my kids, but I am afraid it isn't only the under 20 crowd that is texting while driving.I've seen both sexes severing on the freeway while talking or texting on the phone. I have seen drivers reading a book or an ipad as they are driving. When I was taught to drive way back in the olden days, I was told to keep my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road.

    ReplyDelete