Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Recruit by Monica McCarty - A Good Read!

The Recruit (Highland Guard, #6)The Recruit by Monica McCarty
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

At first I’ll start by saying that I love Monica McCarty’s books. I’ve given The Recruit four stars because I totally despised the hero, Kenneth, in the first 200 pages. I even put the book aside for three weeks, but when I picked it back up, the hero exonerated himself in a hundred ways, finally realizing the life of a complete and total rake was not for him.

The book opens with a lot of setup, but the heroine, Mary, has had one hell of a life. Can you imagine riding through the gates of medieval London with your husband’s head above on a pike? McCarty won my sympathy for Mary on the first page.

I definitely recommend The Recruit. If you get frustrated with Kenneth as I did, keep going. It will be worth it.


View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Amy, glad you wrote about this because I would have been put off by the cover... Hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole--that's too funny. It's almost compulsory to have a bare-chested Highlander on a Scottish historical romance!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great read - thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete