Monday, April 22, 2013

A-Z Challenge - S For Schipperke & Shih Tzu

From the Non-sporting Group, the Schipperke is an agile, active watchdog and hunter of vermin. They are small, thickset and tailless with a fox-like face. The Schipperke is curious, interested in everything around him and is an excellent and faithful watchdog.

With a confident and independent personality, he is reserved with strangers and ready to protect the family if necessary. Dogs are 11 to 13 inches; bitches are 10 to 12 inches.


Shih Tzu Puppy

And for my friend, Wendy Aka Quill Feather, (visit her excellent blog) the Shih Tzu is an adorable dog shown in the Toy Group. Shih Tzu's are sturdy, lively and alert little dogs with a long, flowing double coat. Befitting his noble Chinese ancestry as a highly valued, prized companion and palace pet, the Shih Tzu is proud and has a distinctively arrogant carriage with head well up and tail curved over the back. A wonderful pet, its temperament is outgoing, happy, affectionate, friendly and trusting.

Dogs and bitches ideally 9-10.5 inches and 9-16 pounds.

For the A-Z Challenge, I am blogging about dog breeds to celebrate the July 28 release of my novel, Chihuahua Momma. And hey, a Shih Tzu named Fluffy has a spotlight in the book :-)

I want to give a shout out to Alex J Cavanaugh and the A-Z Challenge group. Visit the A-Z Challenge web site: http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/

19 comments:

  1. The Shih Tzu is such an adorable puppy! I used to know friends of mine back in the States that only adopted Shih Tzu puppies. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are among the cutest puppies!

      Delete
  2. My boyfriend's mum has two Shih Tzu's, and they're adorable! Much easier to walk than my Cocker Spaniel, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I saw a very naughty Shih Tzu lay down in the show ring and refuse to budge...and we were on National TV!

      Delete
  3. That is really the most amazing, fluffiest dog ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Schipperkes are one of my favorites, so fun to say and the name fits them so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these are cute - but for some reason the Shit-zu's name always makes me giggle. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Amy! Such an adorable little dog :) They are exactly as you say they are - albeit they are arrogant, mischievous and very stubborn - deliciously so - think that's why I love them so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't have Chihuahuas, I might buy a Shih Tzu. I absolutely adore them!

      Delete
  7. I don't believe I've ever heard of a Schipperke before. He's not a big dog, is he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, they're pretty small--about the same size as a Shiba Inu

      Delete
  8. Shih tzu are my favourite dogs...and I'm a cat person! They are adorable. We used to know someone years ago who had two and I loved it when they came by the house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A friend of mine has a shih tzu and that little dog is adorable and so loving. I want one of them too. I'm very afraid, however, that my Katie Kitty would not like that at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, introducing a puppy to a cat can be a challenge.

      Delete
  10. Those are such cute little dogs! I have a friend with two Shih Tzus. Adorable!

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete