Thursday, June 20, 2013

Amazing Scotland - Linlithgow Palace

Linlithgow Palace is one of Scotland's most important building of antiquity. Following a devastating fire in 1424, James I ordered the building on an ambitious scale. Subsequent kings added their own additions, and it took nearly 200 years to achieve it's final form. As a comfortable residence built on an impressive setting, it played a key role in the functions and presentation of royalty.

By 1600 (and the reign of King James VI of Scotland/I of England), the palace was in decline. The north range collapsed in 1607. Another fire struck in 1746 after the second Jacobite uprising. However, this fantastic display of opulent royal masonry still bears witness to the grand ambitions of Stewart monarchs.

The Great Hall. I stood in the fireplace at the end, and my head did not touch.

The King's Bed Chamber

The Royal Kitchens

A privy hole--Linlithgow had an intricate sewer system

Me standing in a doorway into the courtyard (it was ccccold in May)

Linlithgow Courtyard gives a glimpse of the enormity of this palace


20 comments:

  1. What an awesome palace! I've wanted to visit for a long time. Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linlithgow was one of my favorites :-)

      Delete
  2. Agreed! Those are magnificent pictures, and the palace is amazing. I'd never seen pictures before like that. I looked at the king's bedroom and tried to imagine it with tapestries hanging all over to help take the chill off the room. King or commoner, they must have been a lot tougher than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GUESS WHAT? I'm going to Scotland this summer! WOO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have loved to see it in its prime. Sure sets the old imagination spinning, doesn't it? So glad you posted this, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been amazing, I'm sure.

      Delete
  5. Awe-inspiring! I loved the picture of the privy hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That blew me away, too. I though they always used bedpans, but a number of castles I visited had latrine systems.

      Delete
  6. I would absolutely love to have the run of places like this- no tour guides, no roped off areas, just you and wherever your nose led you. That would be awesome! Besides flying, that'd be my second super power pick- unlimited access to historical sites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were no guides at Linlithgow, and the only roped off areas were those that were too dangerous. My daughter and I were there for hours.

      Delete
  7. Wow! My imagination is going wild trying to picture the people that once lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, just got home from two weeks on the road. Your blogs are wonderful. Can't wait to see what your creative mind does with the inspiration from this trip. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, will make a lovely setting for your story Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool place to visit...and float into history

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I can't wait to go back :-)

      Delete