Monday, June 10, 2013

Amazing Scotland - Newark Castle

Newark Castle, Port Glasgow 
The land upon which Newark castle was built originally belonged to the Denniston family, but passed to the Maxwells in 1402. The castle was built in two stages, with the oldest construction from the late fifteenth century. The tower house and gatehouse formed the chief elements of an impressive courtyard. Major remodeling was undertaken by Patrick Maxwell in the 1590s, transforming the castle into a splendid three-story Renaissance mansion. You can see that work in the middle of this picture.

Above, the pedimented doorway of his new manse, Lord Patrick placed the inscription "The blissings of God be herein". But Patrick was no saint. He was known as a murder and a wife-beater who, by the power of his station, escaped punishment. The reign of the Maxwell dynasty ended in 1694 upon Patrick's death when the entire property was sold off.

Newark Castle, approaching from the Car park.

The Dove Cot (pigeon tower) from an upper window.

My daughter Moriah in the Great Hall (presently undergoing renovations)
On Thursday I'm blogging about Dunfermline Abbey. Learn more about Scottish Historical sites on www.historic-scotland.gov.uk

9 comments:

  1. Ooohhh I want to live there :( I get so excited when I see these posts on my blog feed. Castles are AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, wouldn't it be epic to live in a castle!

      Delete
  2. Amy, so great to see the places you went to. Looking forward to the post about the Abbey. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I just finished the abbey post. I like it a lot :-)

      Delete
  3. Aloha and special thanks for stopping by and commenting on my recent D-Day post.

    CSM Ryan's story has received an incredible amount of support.

    A HUGE *Thank you* to DL Hammons - and all the Blitzers :)

    Bill said to let everyone know he really appreciates all the personal comments directed his way :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. My wife Jilda and I spent time in Ireland several years ago and it felt like home to us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful photos! I love Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Patrick's home. Hate Patrick, although sounds like he would make an interesting story--the guy you love to hate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that second pic- the bricks look like I could just reach out and touch them. Good eye!

    ReplyDelete