Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Question for Blogger Friends/Self-Pubbers

Hey Guys--I have a question for you:


In December, my publisher is releasing my romantic suspense, VIRTUE about a dancer who gets a job on a cruise ship and ends up on the sacrificial altar of a Mayan cult. When they took on the manuscript, they said they wanted me to get to the romance and action sooner, so I had to cut a ton of dancing stuff from the beginning. It was good material, and shows what it's like to get a job with a troupe and have to learn two shows in a week (I know a lot about this because I was a showgirl before I went to college).

Anyway, my question is this:

Should I put together the cut scenes and release it as a free book on Amazon simultaneously with the book release? Have you done this? What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. As a blogger(and a newbie at that) friend, I think it sounds like a good idea. As long as it has a snazzy cover! ;) But if you did a blog blast when the book was released, I think it'd help perk people's interest to be able to read something for free that corresponds w/the new book. If you do decide to do something like that, let me know and I'll always be glad to host you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leandra...I agree, the cover is soooooooo important!

      Delete
  2. I think that's a great idea, but you have to make sure it is well-written and REALLY interesting; the free book can be a huge stepping stone for people to buy the actual book. If the free book isn't great, well, it might mean less sales. Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed--it has to be good. I was thinking it would be sort of a fun thing, like share the first (actual) chapter, and then talk through the story, with narrative bits in between each snippet. I haven't seen anything like this done before, though ;-/

      Delete
  3. So will the free book be a kind of prequel to the main book? As a fellow dancer I personally would love to read the freebie with the other. I honestly don't know if it would help or hinder- but I don't have a ton of experience either! Sounds really good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking more of a simultaneous with the book release...people get to see the funny narrative between the scenes and might get interested in the book. And, yeah, about half of it is dancing stuff.

      Delete
  4. Hm... I'm torn on this. It could work as good publicity to drive people to your release, but some also might find it confusing. Not sure! (This hasn't been any help, I know.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Hmm. Once I put it together, I'll definitely ask my publisher's opinion. I certainly don't want to confuse people :-)

      Delete