Thursday, October 10, 2013

Editing...Gawd!

I've got my rights back and I'm in the process of editing my first novel, BOY MAN CHIEF (Formerly published as KOICTO). Oh. My. God. Have I learned a lot in the past several years!

I thought it would be a pretty easy job to go in and fix a few typos that I knew were in it, but I made so many novice mistakes:

1. That, that, that! I'll bet I've cut 500 that's and I'm not finished yet.
2. As, as, as...not as bad as that, but bad.
3. Not enough action, and not using props...too many head nods.
4. Stating the emotion rather than showing it.
5. Too much word repetition.

Yes, it's bad, bad, bad, but know the good thing? It can be fixed, and I'll have a much better book. I'm hoping to release BOY MAN CHIEF, a Native American historical fantasy by November 1st.

The back cover copy:

In an ancient Native American world, Koicto dreams of leading his people through the ravages of war. Summoned by the Tribal Elders, this gifted warrior forges a bond of brotherhood with the irascible cougar, Kitchi, and proves he’s worthy to lead. But the Elders proclaim Koicto a shaman—a medicine man. They force him into an arranged marriage, ignoring his love for the beautiful Pavati, and casting aside his burning desire to become chief of the Nahchee Nation.

With staggering brutality, Koicto’s vision of war unfolds. He must now fulfill his destiny. If he fails, the Nahchee will be no more.

12 comments:

  1. Fantastic that you're able to continue on your path of learning and growth. I'm sure the book will be even better (although I enjoyed Koicto immensely!) Keep us posted on your progress!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mikko! We have had quite a time since the San Francisco Writer's Conference! Oh man, that seems like a hundred years ago!

      Delete
    2. So funny, I've been in the midst of doing the same thing! Editing that monstrosity I brought to the SFWC when I met you there! It's down to 116K and I think someday (soon) I might have to finally turn the last page and proclaim it FINISHED. Yes.

      Delete
    3. It is funny. All three of use were at the same SFWC!

      Delete
  2. YAAAY!!! I am really excited you are doing this. I really want to read it when it's done because I really liked Koicto! I am doing the exact same thing right now and boy...what a process, yes??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to read the revised story. That said, I thought KOICTO was perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind! I'm not changing the plot :-)

      Delete
  4. Good luck with revisions! And it sounds like the story showed you how much you've grown as a writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's the great thing about growing as a writer; you get to see your progress just by reading your old work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the edit, Amy - sounds like a lot of hard work

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure your efforts will be rewarded when you're finished and everyone loves your book. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete