Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Romance Weekly - Handling that question, have a story you should write!


This week's Romance Weekly has some great questions:

1. When someone finds out you’re an author, how do you handle the statement, “I have a story you should write”?

This happens more than people think. Usually their story has nothing to do with the genre in which I write. So, how do I handle it? People like to be heard. I listen carefully. The story may be a good one, regardless. Then I always make a reflective comment and show my appreciation for their idea. There’s no need to be short with anyone or to tell them their idea won’t work for me. Why not listen? It only takes a brief moment in time and I may make a friend.

2. Do you write what you read?

Yes. I read a lot of historical romance, especially Scottish. I also read straight historical novels. I find when I am not reading, my own muse flounders a bit.

3. People often mistake the lifestyle of a writer as glamorous, give us the scoop, what about your lifestyle would shock your readers?

I think my lifestyle is glamorous, but that’s because I like being a hermit.  *grins*

I roll out of bed about 6 a.m., make myself a cuppa tea and then check my e-mail and social media. I write for a couple of hours, then exercise, shower and back to writing until about 9 p.m. When I say writing, it encompasses everything from writing first drafts to editing, marketing, writing back cover copy, analysing book trends, submissions, blog posts, critiques for my crit partners, planning presentations and occasional communication with my agent.


I don’t take days off, but I usually only work a few hours on Sunday and take a Saturday afternoon and hike with my husband or play a game of golf.

Next up, hop on over to the lovely Rebekah R. Ganiere's blog: http://www.RebekahGaniere.com

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think it would be difficult to be an extroverted writer ;-) LOL

      Delete
  2. You and I have a very similar day plan. I squash school runs and children around that, but much the same idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, though I miss the kids, it's nice not to be the taxi anymore.

      Delete
  3. :) why can't we make people understand that living in our heads is glamorous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno, but as long as we're having fun, who cares if other people understand ;-)

      Delete
  4. I had a much snarkier answer to the first question Amy, but I'm going to take a reference from your response next time. True. 'T'ain't a person alive who couldn't use more friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I like yours better--Show me the money!

      Delete
  5. I think writers' lives are glamorous only to themselves :) (And that's a stretch, too. I only feel 'glamorous' when I get good vibes from my crit partners or I feel very happy with something I wrote.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SC, don't you wear sexy underwear when you're writing? How glam is that?

      Delete
  6. It's amazing how much reading can help to focus our own writing, isn't it? :) Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy, I don't get up that early, but my day is pretty filled too. So much for the glamor! Best, Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read to keep my mojo going too. I find that I need that creativity to motivate my own! Great post ! Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed by how hard you work. You deserve all the success - and thanks for sharing your great answers.

    ReplyDelete