Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Ebook Soda Feature & Love Write Chat Blog Hop

Captured by the Pirate Laird is on sale for $0.99 this week to celebrate the release of The Highland Henchman. And today Captured is featured on eBookSoda, a new readers' site where they'll send you eBook deals and recommendations tailored to your taste: www.ebooksoda.com Pop over and check them out!

The Blurb for Captured by Pirate Laird:


Wed by proxy to a baron old enough to be her grandfather, Lady Anne trudges up the gangway of a galleon that will deliver her into the arms of a tyrant. Crestfallen, she believes her disastrous life cannot get worse—until she awakes to the blasts of cannon fire.

Facing certain death, Anne trembles in her stateroom while swords clash and the chilling screams of battle rage on the deck above. When a rugged Highlander kicks in her door, she prays for a swift end.

But Laird Calum MacLeod has a reason for plundering the ship—and it’s not a stunning English lass. With no other choice, he takes Anne to his crumbling keep on the isle of Raasay and sends a letter of ransom to her husband. In time, Anne grows to understand MacLeod’s plight and finds it increasingly difficult to resist Calum’s unsettling charm—until the baron sends a reply agreeing to terms.


Ripped from passion that will be forever seared into their souls, will Anne and Calum risk everything for love?


The Blurb for The Highland Henchman:

Intent on winning a Lowlander’s tournament, Bran MacLeod travels south with his laird. All goes as planned, except spirited Miss Enya Ross continually distracts him, and in the oddest situations. With no business lusting after a baron’s daughter, Bran decides to return to Raasay—until his laird pledges Bran’s services in the fight to reinstate Mary, Queen of Scots to the throne.

Enya has no deference for the lines of nobility, or for the Great Divide that separates Lowlanders from Highlanders. The way Sir Bran’s eyes hunger for her ignites an internal fire Enya cannot quell. All her life she’s wanted adventure and excitement, but now her every thought is consumed with the rugged Highlander.

With all odds stacked against them, can their forbidden love withstand the tumult of war and the menace of betrayal?




This weeks Romance Weekly blog hop continues with some insightful questions:

1.     How do you find the appropriate setting for the story, or does it find you?

Well, that depends on what I’m writing. With my past contemporary stories, I have some experience with the setting. For example, I own and show Chihuahuas which really helped wen writing Chihuahua Momma. With Virtue, I’ve visited Belize twice and before I went to college, I was a showgirl which helped with all the dancing and theater scenes. With my Scottish historical romances, it’s a little different, but I did get my Master’s degree in Scotland and I study the periods in which I write extensively.

2.     What is your support system for your writing?  Family, friends, other writers?


My DH, the nicest man in the world!
My family supports my writing, especially my husband. He has made the biggest sacrifice, enabling me to quit my full time job and write. I would not be able to do this without him, and I am truly grateful. I also have an awesome critique group that I meet with every Monday. There are three of us and we write in different genres, but we enjoy and support each other’s prose. Finally, I have a dear friend who is also a critique partner. We mutually share our successes and our setbacks. She is the one person who completely understands me, and I think I do her as well. She lives in northern Utah and I in southern, but we communicate through e-mail and Skype.

3.     What is the worst writing advice you ever received and how did you deal with it?

Good grief! I have received some TERRIBLE advice. I’ve had quite a number of bad experiences trying out critique partners—and a couple of contest judging sheets that made no sense at all. What I try to do when I receive feedback where the reader just didn’t “get” it, is I try to read through the comments and pull out the ones that I can actually use. Often, I find I might need to add more sensory detail to make my motive clearer. If I totally do not agree with something, I toss it (unless I’ve heard it repeatedly, then it’s time to step back and examine where I’ve gone wrong).

Bottom line? Authors need to be confident in their work and recognize when they've received good as well as bad advice...and that's not always easy!

Next up, hop over to lovely Katie O'Connor's blog to see how she handles these interesting questions! http://katieoh.blogspot.com

One last thing...Everyone's invited to the Online Highland Henchman Facebook Party Saturday, April 5th! Click on the link and JOIN the fun!!!!!

21 comments:

  1. Ohh, contest judges...some of the comments! Loved learning more about you, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about growing that thick skin and adding another layer, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. Surviving scathing comments...and didn't we just want to make someone's day a little brighter with our stories? Good on you Amy for soldiering through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes for the thick skin and confidence. It takes a while to learn though (or it does for me!) Loved your thoughts on these questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. unless I’ve heard it repeatedly, then it’s time to step back and examine where I’ve gone wrong

    That's why it is so important to have multiple readers (beta or critique). Making a change because one person doesn't like it isn't always the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so awesome that you've finally found the right critique partners. It's hard to find a good fit, and I know I couldn't do without mine. Great post! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. I'd like to find more, too!

      Delete
  7. Amy, your web site is beautiful! And yes, on partners and feedback. Need to weigh it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doesn't it just feel like a smack to the face when someone says awful things about your work ... particularly when it is clear that they haven't read it? Jerk-faces.
    I always try to take the good with the bad ... after I curse a blue streak at the negative remarks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, loathe the jerk-faces, I always say :-)

      Delete
  9. I just really enjoy these covers, Amy. Every time I see them I'm drawn in by the colors and the design. And, yeah, those muscles too... =) And DH has a very nice smile- I'm guessing it's you behind he camera that he's smiling at? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think being confident is 90% of writing, and trusting in your own work :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've found my writer friends are the greatest when supporting what I do :) Loved your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, to write full time! But then I really would be a hermit. Hope you have found a good critique partner. They are a godsend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Free Article Submission. Finally a way to keep track of all of the articles you have submitted. Article submission can be a daunting task when you are trying to do. One of the hardest things to do to promote your website is to build your link popularity. Article submission sites have become one of the best and most simple ways. Primodels Review

    ReplyDelete