Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What's The Most Unusual Thing You've Done To Research Your Book?



This week's Romance Weekly Blog Hop questions are brought to us by the wonderful author, Dani Jace! I love to laugh, so I particularly liked answering these :-)


1. What is the most unusual thing you've ever done in the name of research for a book?

My research is pretty run-of-the mill, though I do a lot of travelling (thank goodness it's deductible). Anyway, when I was in Belize researching Virtue, I ate termites when I was on a night hike in the jungle. Going on a night hike is dangerous enough considering some of the deadly snakes down there, but eating termites really grossed my husband out. Know what? They were minty.



2. Name a nonfiction book you've read for research that you wouldn't have read otherwise. Not including writing craft books:

In the name of writing, I actually read more non-fiction books than fiction. One of my favorites that I haven't already blogged about is THE HISTORY OF UNDERCLOTHES by C. Willett and Phillis Cunnington. An excellent guide for the historical author, it's full of interesting detail. Besides, who doesn't like to read about underwear *giggles*?




3. If you could travel anywhere to do research for a book, including back in time, where would you go?

Of course I've talked a lot about my trips to Scotland, but if I could actually go back in time, I'd go back to the Sixteenth Century . I'd visit all the castles I've written about like Brochel, Dunstaffnage, Edinburgh, Stirling Palace, Palace of Holyrood, Linlithgow, Dunfirmline, Craigivar, Urqhardt, Lochleven, and Dunvegan to name a few. 

I'd also go visit my clan, the Trotters who were dispersed by King James I & VI in 1603 for being an unruly border clan. Boy, I'd like to show them how unruly we Trotters can be! The Trotters are descendants of the Picts--lived in a fortress atop Traprain Law during the age of the Picts. We were so fierce, even the Romans couldn't conquer us!!

Traprain Law, Site of a Mighty Pict Fortress in East Lothian, Scotland

I'd love to hear some of the crazy things you've done in the name of research!!


My Photo
Nina Mason
Next up on the Romance Weekly Love, Write Chat blog hop is the lovely Nina Mason  http://ninamasonromance.blogspot.com/ I wonder how she'll answer this week's fun questions!

Also, on sale for $0.99 this week only, The Highland Henchman:




22 comments:

  1. I adored the tidbit of Trotters family history!!! Interesting blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love researching family history :-)

      Delete
  2. That History of Underclothes looks fascinating. I'm going to have to check that out. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somebody actually wrote a book about the history of Underclothes. Thank God

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg - minty? I am prostrate before you, O Researcher Queen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Btw, my "Handysides" ancestors were your ancestors' neighbours. South Scotland East.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Termites and a book on underwear! You're in the top five today, Amy! And Scotland is the biggest destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's always nice to be in the top five, LOL!

      Delete
  7. Termites? I feel the urge to wash my mouth out. What a woman!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've researched a lot of weird things. Bomb making, rifles, prison life, swinging, castles and castle life, human trafficking. Frankly, I start researching one thing and before long I'm a thousand miles/topics away and forgot where I started. I love research.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I ate termites, my husband would never kiss me again. He'd probably insist on a mouth transplant, lol! And that is one big hill/mountain. Nobody's getting surprised on top of that thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank heaven's my husband didn't gross out that much!

      Delete
  10. Minty termites? At least you're open to new experiences :D Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMY! Termites!? UGH! But I love love love your talk of Scotland and clans!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it!! My research is Google; I bet the NSA is freaked by the things I've searched!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it amazing how loud the rainforest is at night? Great answers, Amy!

    ReplyDelete