Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Romance Weekly Blog Hop-Characterization Questions


Time for another blog hop with Romance Weekly! Today's questions are from Debbie (Kate) Robbins:

1. How much of yourself do you write into your characters? Or do you write characters completely opposite to you?

On some level I write something from myself, but I try more to use psychological profiling and characteristics from people I know. I use a psychology book to identify my character's type before I start writing: Are You My Type, Am I Yours by Renee Baron and Elizabeth Wagele. This book uses nine enneagrams and discusses how each type interacts with the others:



2. Has your writing helped you see events in your own life clearer?

Not really. I maintain a clear distinction between my fictional world and my real life. 

3. Have you written a character with more of your personal characteristics than any other? What are they?

This is the picture I used when
writing Enya's character
Yes, I'd say Enya from The Highland Henchman has some personal characteristics from my youth. She's a tomboy and very driven. Once she has her mind set on something, there's no stopping her from getting what she wants. Of course as I've matured, I've mellowed considerably.

One thing I do when writing is ask how that character would respond, not how I would respond. Occasionally in the first draft of a book, I'll realize I've written my own response rather than my character's and have to edit. To get more three-dimensional characters, an author must find ways of getting out of his/her own head.

I'd love you to comment on some of your characterization tricks and tools!!

Next on this week's blog hop is the talented Sarah Hegger! She's the brain child of the Romance Weekly Blog Hop, so click on over and show her some love! http://sarahhegger.wordpress.com

Beauty and the Barbarian, Highland Force Book Three slipped up on Amazon a day early (but the big release post will go up tomorrow)!


7 comments:

  1. I love how you use psychology to develop your characters. Great post today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Nina both mention the Eneagram. Amazing tool for life as well as writing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to keep my character responses totally different than mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Using psychology to help create character is a great thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be adding Are You My Type to my list. I'm trying to read The Secret Life Of Pronouns right now but keep nodding off. Probably shouldn't read in bed. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you use Are You My Type as a means of how your characters interact with one another. I am going to have to put that on my must have list!!! Great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the way you think Amy! : )

    ReplyDelete