Tuesday, May 13, 2014

RW Blog Hop-When did you start writing?


This week's Romance Weekly blog hop questions come from yours truly *grins*

1. When did you start writing, and why? 

Believe it or not, this is a difficult question to answer. Like most authors, I started writing as soon as I could write. You know those big wide-ruled papers we used in the first grade? Well, I still have my first story on one of those, which was a how-to article on football (with an older brother I was the proverbial tomboy). Anyway, by the fifth grade, I was writing stories in my spare time and giving them to my teacher for extra credit. 

Interestingly, though my parents were teachers, they didn't encourage me to write. I was on the newspaper in high school, and received an A+ on my college thesis. But I didn't write a novel until about 1998...followed by another...followed by an infinite string of rejections. Life happened, and fast-forward to 2010 when I completed my third novel, BOY MAN CHIEF, which was picked up by a small publishing house. Since then I haven't looked back :-)

Craigievar Castle, Scotland
2. What do you like best about writing? 

I love making stuff up. The creative process from taking a spark of an idea to a 90,000 word novel is exciting for me. I love to research and use that information to create a world in which people can become immersed. Of course being my own boss has its perks as well--especially the five second commute!

3. If you could go on a writing retreat, where would you go and for how long?

Oh man. Any writing retreat in the world? I think I would design my own personal retreat. The picture on the left is of Craigievar Castle in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, and my distant relative married into the the (Forbes) family and lived there. I'd love to spend a summer at Craigievar giving tours and writing. I'd learn so much about that particular site--perhaps even the walls would reveal their secrets!

Next on the list, hop on over to Mishka Jenkins blog. She's a lovely Brit, and a lot closer to Scotland than I am! https://awriterslifeformeblog.wordpress.com/

I'd love to hear where you'd like to go on a retreat!

And if you'll be in New Orleans for the RT Booklovers Convention this week, look me up--I'll be there handing out free book coupons and my buttons:


14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great questions! You and I have similar answers to #2 and a bit of #1 as well. :) I'm excited to join this group and am still figuring out how it works. You can read my answers here: http://banterwithbeth.blogspot.com/2014/05/romance-weekly.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Amy. I love that my desk is the love seat in my bay window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything with a castle and I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could do a writing retreat at that castle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we can start something! Wouldn't it be fun to get a group together and write in a castle!

      Delete
  5. The five-second commute and getting to work in your jammies or sweats is pretty nice! I'm with everyone else. I want to write in a castle!! So, when are we going?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I would adore writing in a castle, let's go!!! Enjoyed your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is great to get that tiny flicker of an idea and then BAM! You're suddenly writing a whole novel about it :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU'RE AFTER MY OWN SOUL!!!!! I love love love castles and one of my BIGGEST life goals is to just live in one. Arghsadhaldsjgl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started writing in Jr. High. Anything you write is a living organism until you press print (and that is still can be debated). I would love to go to the high mountains of New Mexico for a month long writing retreat with five very serious writers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking about your teacher parents not encouraging you to write made me think of my wife who is a teacher and doesn't like all the books I have around the house. She's not overly thrilled with me reading and writing either.

    Thanks for visiting my blog on Blitz Day.

    Lee
    Why I love Wordpress bloggers
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete