Saturday, May 24, 2014

The RT Booklovers Convention was Wild!

I got back from RT almost a week ago and am only now coming up for air! So much was happening at RT, no one could possibly do everything they wanted. I can't say I did all the right things either. I took my best stab at the activities list, and came out with some cool ta-do's...and a number of requests.

If I ever go back to RT, this is my advice to me (or anyone who is thinking about going):


  • Go with a friend. I missed some of the evening events because I was alone and staying at an off-site hotel (goodness, the hotel was booked practically a year in advance). I didn't feel safe being out at night, so I did things like stay in my room and work on my synopsis (silly introverted me). Next time I will beg and plead with my friends to go! I did find some people I knew, and should have asked to hang out with them...darn my shy streak. 
  • Go to the publisher presentations. I went to two of these and learned a lot about the publishers. In retrospect, I should have attended more.
  • Don't expect to sell a lot of books at the book fair. I sold more than I thought I would, given there were about 700 authors, but don't go because you want to sell books. This is a great event for networking, because a lot of industry professionals are there.
  • Make friends with reviewers and bloggers.
  • Make friends with readers...ask them what they like to read. They like swag and bookmarks, and are genuinely happy if you offer them one.
  • If you need exclusive cover model shots, this is a great opportunity to meet models and talk to them about your ideas. I found a model who was super interested in doing a photo shoot for my next series. That was pretty cool.
  • If you're looking to go traditional, this is a great place to pitch your book. Don't be shy...don't be too pushy either.
  • Lastly, the author classes were mostly panels. I must admit I didn't get too much out of them. I would have been better off doing things with readers.
All-in-all, it was a great time, and I made a number of new friends. Will I go again? Probably in the future!

Have you been to RT? What did you like? What do you think about reader/writer conferences?

8 comments:

  1. I've seen a lot of mention of the RT conference and I must needs know- what does RT stand for?! =) Thanks for the recap, it sounds a great one that I'd love to go to someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leandera - RT stands for Romantic Times. They have a magazine, but are trying to invite other genres in...but I don't see this conference getting any bigger. The lines are already like Disneyland!

      Delete
  2. Amy, thanks for the great advice. Sounds like you had profitable time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to make the best of it, Pat :-)

      Delete
  3. I saw posts and pics around. I wish I had gone. Great advice for attending conventions like these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in Dallas next year, Medeia (love your name!)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the tips! Sounds like it was great.

    ReplyDelete