Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Romance Weekly Blog Hop - How Do You Deal With Critiques?



Awesome Ms. Victoria Barbour provided this week's blog hop questions:
  1. Have you always written Romance?
No. The first two manuscripts I wrote were suspense novels, followed by a Native American historical, which was my debut novel. Boy Man Chief won the LUW award for best manuscript and the Spark Book award, but didn't sell many copies. After that I started delving into the world of romance and found my voice with Scottish historicals.

I went back and looked at my first manuscript and almost died. My goodness, it's so bad nothing can fix it. LOL

By the way, Boy Man Chief is only $0.99 on Amazon.


2.  How do you deal with critiques about the romance genre?

A assume this question is about critiques dissing the romance genre. Well, some of them are spot on. I don't like every romance novel I read either. But there are a number of people out there who think romance authors are not talented. I definitely disagree with that. Some of the most talented writers in the business write romance. My favorites included Tessa Dare and Monica McCarty. They blow me away with every book! 

However, critiques are one person's opinion. I don't always agree with them, but everyone has the right of free expression. Of course if they are dissing me, it hurts. I just might go for a 10 mile bike ride to clear my head, and then get back to business!
  1. What’s the one thing about our genre you’d like people to know?
I write historical romance. I do a ton of research for every book. I try to make the setting as realistic as possible. Yes there is a romantic story line, but all my novels are action-adventures as well. Most good romance novels are simply great stories, just as you would see in every other genre!

Next up, hop on over to LaNora Mangano's blog to see how she answers these questions: http://findinglanora.weebly.com/lanoras-lanotes

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's a lot of fun...I had to use that picture!

      Delete
  2. There are so many other elements to romances, aren't there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always find it interesting how people can disregard an entire genre of books, but you don't hear many people disregard an entire genre of music. Odd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree, there are good and bad writing in all genres, however, no one should lump them all together because of one bad read. Loved your answers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make a good point. I enjoy fantasy book as well, but I don't enjoy *every* fantasy book. It's everyone's personal choice, and it's good there is so much more variety out there now :)

    ReplyDelete