Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Romance Weekly Blog Hop - Some Interesting Questions


If you hopped over here from Rhenna Morgan 's blog, WELCOMEThis weeks Romance Weekly Blog Hop questions come from Colette Cameron and her dynamic blog, Blue Rose Romance:

1. How do you respond to someone calling your writing smut or demeaning your work in some other way? 

That's one thing we authors must learn to take. So when someone publicly expresses that they don't like my writing, internally I get a little upset...then I read all the nice responses and get over it. 

2. When critiquing or beta reading, do you ever find the voice of the other author creeping into your writing? 

Fortunately, my critique partners don't write in my genre, so I've never encountered this problem. I do have an editor with one of publishers who tries to reword or rewrite things. That always hits a nerve, because to me its a loud trumpet blaring that it's not my voice. So any time she does a rewrite, I rewrite it again. Voice has become a powerful thing with me.

My sweetheart, Maya
Occasionally I'll be reading a really good book in my genre...then I have to work to keep the story and the voice out of my head. Same with a good movie. *sighs* Rob Roy comes to mind.

3. What’s one quirky thing you do or must have around you while writing?

Me? Quirky? Um... My Chihuahua sleeps under my desk while I'm writing. I always jot down notes before I write a scene. I listen to Celtic harp music especially when I need to connect with my muse. My desk is always a mess because I have research books and papers scattered everywhere. Nothing too weird. 

Next up, hop on over to S. C. Mitchell's blog. I'm sure he'll knock your socks off!  http://scmitchell.wordpress.com/



Everyone's invited to my Facebook Event unveiling the cover of RETURN OF THE HIGHLAND LAIRD on July 25th. Just click on the picture and then click join. I hope to see you there!


17 comments:

  1. That was funny :D Thanks for sharing your views. It's always nice to know we're not alone in our mindset. You sound more open and stable than me, though. When someone remarks unfavorably to my writing, I freeze, dumbfounded for the duration. I'd like to be more like you and shoot back with something honest and with heart, but it never pops into my head until it's too late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I was a plant manager in the plastics industry for a number of years. That toughened me up, yep.

      Delete
  2. I love your dog!! My dog sleeps under my feet while I work too. His presence keeps me calm most of the time until he whines for attention and pulls me from a scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maya is so cute! I forgot to mention my Doxie Kiwi. Constant writing companion. Sympathize with your editor intrusion struggle. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, LOVE the graphic. I think it's more than appropriate for naysayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My big furby won't fit under my desk anymore (he used to as a pup though). He likes to hang out close when I'm writing too :) The pic was appropriate for how I feel when people demean the romance genre too :) Loved your answers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you, Amy! I worked with a bunch of men for twenty plus years sharpening my tongue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could say so much in response, but I'm just going to smile :-)

      Delete
  7. First, love the happy face flipping the bird. And love that you'll square off with people. Second, celtic harp music. Ahhhh, takes me to a special place. I listen to music when I write, but I can't listen to words with music or I'll start writing lyrics into my work. lol. Great post, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah. Love the Eff You happy face :D That's pretty much my response too! lol
    I love that your furbaby is your writing partner. My pooch is too big to fit under foot, but he's always next to me. It's the cats that are under me, on top of me, on top of the desk, back of the chair... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Celtic harp music killed me. I love these answers Amy. You are such a great person! I'm glad your pup is near by when you're writing, my cats are always lurking, sometimes they meow. A lot, and I wonder, are they trying to tell me that scene just is not going to work? LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete