Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Romance Writers Weekly - Do You Know How Your Story Ends Before You Write?



Sorry I missed last week, but with the book signing in Las Vegas, something had to give! The good news is I started a new manuscript last week (#14), so I'm in writers heaven! This weeks questions come from the wonderfully outlandish Jami Denise:

    1. When writing your novel, do you know how it’s going to end before you write, or do you write from start to finish?

    I'm one of those plotting types who spends weeks planning, researching and plotting before I can write the first scene. So, the answer to this question is yes. I'm not so rigid that I can't allow my character's voices to make changes, but the beginning, middle and end are always as I planned. 
    2. How do the people you know impact your writing? Are you influenced by friends and family for your characters?

    I am more influenced by character type than actual people, but on occasion, one of my characters is similar to someone I know. I'll ask myself, how would that person respond? Often, after I've asked that question, I come up with something entirely different than my first thought.
      3. Describe the hero in your current WIP in three words.

      Adventurous, Powerful, Deadly

      Fun questions this week! Next up, hop on over to Kim Handysides blog and see how she anseres these interesting questions! http://kimhandysides.com

      19 comments:

      1. Like the adventurous. Love the powerful. Deadly made my <3 go pitter pat.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Heroes have a way of affecting one's heartrate, Kim :-)

          Delete
      2. Oh how I wish I had the patience to plot the entire story out. I give you a lot of credit. My characters usually drag me into the story before i have any idea where it's going.

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Character driven stories are awesome too!

          Delete
      3. I cannot imagine plotting for weeks. I've never done that. I'm a total pantster. My characters have their own ideas!

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. I wish I could do that. I usually start and hit a brick wall!

          Delete
      4. I'm with you on the plotting, Amy. Has to be done before I can let those characters 'speak'

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. And then they wow me. You too, Sarah?

          Delete
      5. Congrats on starting #14! I love starting and ending my books - most of the hair pulling comes in the middle!

        ReplyDelete
      6. Love the sound of your hero. The deadly intrigues me.

        ReplyDelete
      7. I don't take weeks to plot, instead, the plot infects my thoughts as I finish writing the previous book and I jot things down. Then it takes about two or three days to meld it all together, not always successfully.

        ReplyDelete
      8. I love that you ask yourself how someone a character is loosely based on would react. I never think to do that.

        ReplyDelete
      9. Ooooh! Powerful, Adventurous and Deadly... SIGN ME UP! He sounds yummy!

        ReplyDelete
      10. Your hero sounds yummy!!! Loved your blog!!!

        ReplyDelete
      11. I plot everything too :D Though I have to admit I do enjoy the research and build up to starting a new book!

        Great answers :)

        ReplyDelete