Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Romance Writers Weekly - Do You Ever Doubt Your Ability to Write?



First up, happy Canada Day to my northern friends! 

This week's Romance Weekly Blog Hop questions from the lovely Tessa Gray. 

1.   Do any characters you've written into your books remind you of yourself? Explain which ones and why.

Enya from The Highland Henchman reminds me a bit of myself. I've always been a bit of a maverick and pursued things I wanted with reckless abandon. She's me to an extreme. Don't let that sweet, innocent face sway you. Enya's sharp as a tack with killer instincts.

2.   Was there a teacher or mentor in your life who helped nurture your writing?

There have been many. In second grade I had a teacher who believed in me--though she gave me an A in creative spelling (LOL), another in fourth grade, a journalism teacher in high school, a creative writing teacher in college. Once I started down the path of writing fiction novels, I'd have to say Donald Maass and his Writing the Breakout Novel methods was pretty huge. I attended his week-long Breakout Novel Workshop in 2012, and that helped me immensely.

Also, Grace Burrowes (NYT & USA Bestselling regency author) helped me with a content edit of Captured by the Pirate Laird. Her guidance was invaluable. 

3. Every author has that moment when they doubt their ability to write. When that happens to you, how do you pull yourself up by the bootstraps and continue? What do you do to inspire YOURSELF?  

I wish this didn't happen, but it's hard not to crash, say, after you're hit between the eyes by a lousy review, or you're rejected for the 100th time. Not everyone is going to like your work, and the competition out there is fierce. The sooner an author realizes that, the better and I think being realistic makes it easier to cope.

To pull myself out of the doldrums, I sometimes shut down my internet, turn on JS Bach and immerse myself in work...or I read a book. Since I started writing full time, it's amazing how much less time I have to read aside from editing my own work or that of my critique partners. If Bach doesn't work, there's always wine!


Next up, hop on over to Carrie Elks http://carrieelks.com/blog/ to see how she answers these thought provoking questions!

~~~~~

Remember there's still time to be a part of the Beauty and the Barbarian giveaway! Three signed print copies are up for grabs! Enter the Rafflecopter below...




a Rafflecopter giveaway

14 comments:

  1. Love Donald Maas—a week? I'm jealous! Like the bit about Bach, too. Reminds me of Radar O-Reilly—"Ah, Bach."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I recommend Donald Maass's workshops to everyone!

      Delete
  2. Funny how many of us use wine to soothe our battered egos. The next morning I'm ready to tackle it all again, but not before popping a few advil. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only drink a glass, but it does dull the pain ;-)

      Delete
  3. LOL. An "A" in creative spelling. Funny! I have that Donald Maas book but spending a week with the man at a conference?!!! Wow.

    And, yes, Chardonnay, please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not good with wine, but I love Bach. It completely changes my negative emotions into something more positive

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've taken up wine drinking at this late stage in the game :) I do believe there's something to it :) Loved your answers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes, those reviews. Like you said, it's about realistic expectations

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keeping away from the internet for a while can really help to revive my motivation as well! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Sometimes you just need to shut it down!

      Delete