Monday, July 14, 2014

The Romance Novel Convention 2014

Awesome Friends at RNC
My fantastic friend,
Jen Greyson 

Saturday night I returned home from Las Vegas the second annual Romance Novel Convention. OMG, I had a few complaints, but I'll refrain from listing them. Yes, the conference needed organization, though I prefer to focus on all my positive takeaways:

  1. I attended several classes given by Mark Coker, CEO of Smashwords. He was a wealth of information and presented ebook sales data sliced and diced in a myriad of ways. Here are some of my takeaway points from Mark:

    • Definitely use Smashwords pre-order option when setting up your books. You will have a greater chance of making the bestseller lists if people on the Smashwords platforms have signed up for your pre-order and all buy the book as soon as it goes live.
    • Download Mark's free book THE SECRETS TO EBOOK PUBLISHING SUCCESS
    • Back matter matters! Ensure you have a bio, list your books and your website, Facebook page and twitter handle.
    • Your books need an emotionally satisfying EXTREME!
    • Reader word of mouth is paramount!! Get this through book reviews and blog reviews.
    • Give one or more of your books away for free. Free books are presently being downloaded 39x more than paid books (though that number is declining).
    • MAXIMIZE AVAILABILITY AND AVOID EXCLUSIVITY!
    • Create an awesome cover image.
    • Publish another incredibly great book (and another).
    • Build a platform you can control (web site, blog, newsletter, FB, Twitter)
    • Pricing strategy is a lever for success. $3.99 seems to be the sweet spot!
    • New York releases books on TUESDAYS. DO NOT RELEASE A SELF-PUBLISHED BOOK ON A TUESDAY!
  1. In the audio book class, my biggest takeaway is that you there are times when the narrator needs to add "s/he thought" so the listener knows it's an internal thought rather than dialogue.
  2. In my Social Media class, the biggest takeaway is that you have 10 seconds to engage someone who clicks on your web site...otherwise they're gone.
  3. I taught a class on Writing Sexual Tension. It was awesome! I kept it fun and used volunteers to demonstrate body language. I think it helped me sell books at the book fair!
  4. I dressed up as a tiger for the costume party. I spent an hour on my make-up. It was kind of eccentric, but after that, everyone knew who I was. SOMETIMES YOU NEED TO TAKE A RISK!
  5. The book fair was awesome. I ran a special and a giveaway for people who signed up for my newsletter and had a lot of traffic at my table!
  6. BEST OF ALL? I GOT TO MEET AUTHORS AND READERS with whom I interact on social media. It is awesome to shake a hand or hug someone I've been following for months or years! 

With Kathryn Le Veque and Suzan Tisdale


There's still time to enter the Beauty and the Barbarian signed print copy giveaway!


a Rafflecopter giveaway

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time and learned a lot. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth every penny just to have a one-on-one conversation with Mark Coker! He knows his stuff!!!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like so much fun Amy. Thanks so much for reporting in on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you came away with a wealth of information. I know you enjoyed meeting everyone face to face. I sure have enjoyed all the pictures that are being posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I will never, never forget it. The sign ya ladies made was just the most sweetest thing ya'll could of done for BOOK ADDICTS. I am still in shock ya would think of us and make a sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you and Kimi could have been there, Debbie!! Hopefully next time :-)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing these tips! And great costume, you did an amazing job on your face paint. I also really like your dress in the last pic. Is that black lace? I'm a sucker for lace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome, thanks for sharing with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy,

    I just got back from the PNWA Summer Writers Conference in Seattle, and it's super organized with lots of great classes and gobs of agents and editors to pitch to. LOVED it! So maybe next year you should mix it up and try Seattle's summer conference.

    Anyway, I got home, checked my Goodreads page, and holy smokin' hot cover art! I saw your Highland Force books. Wow! Those covers blew me away! Congratulations on your publications!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chelly! OMG, I went to the PNWA conference in 2000! How crazy is that? I'm not even sure Jimmy is having a RNC conference next year...the dates are gone from his web site. I like to attend conferences in Las Vegas because that's close to home, but I might have to try PNWA again...after all, it's been 14 years! ...Glad you like the covers :-)

      Delete